Thursday, April 26, 2012

Do Not Flush Panties Down the Toilet


Picture this - you see this sign in a dorm room community bathroom:

 PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH PANTIES DOWN THE TOILET

What the??!! While I was in college, I went to Cairo, Egypt to study Arabic for one semester. I was at the American University of Cairo and it was the first year AUC was at it's new campus in New Cairo or القاهرة الجديدة

The new campus is literally in the desert surrounded by nothing but sand and wild dogs. The campus is absolutely gorgeous, it looks like a resort. The students that go to AUC are wealthy as tuition is very expensive. Living in the brand new dorms on the brand new campus was very exciting for a lot of the students. They were split up into boys dorms and girls dorms and we weren't allowed to intermingle at all except in a community room in the middle of the dorms. One of my roommates' brothers lived in the boys' dorm and she wasn't even allowed to go to his room! 


Anyway, back to the panties. The rich girls who lived in the dorms had never been away from home before. They were used to having cleaning ladies, moms, and maids to do all of the work for them and they didn't know how to fend for themselves. Apparently, the community bathrooms were getting flooded on the daily because the girls living there didn't know what to do with dirty laundry. They had never done laundry before and instead of washing their clothes after wearing them or even throwing out their underwear (which apparently they used to do), they would flush them down the toilet! Now, believe me, I cannot for the life of me figure out what their logic was, they must have assumed they would just disappear but it caused the construction of this ridiculously funny sign. 

It was interesting to see what kinds of lives the students led before coming to college. They were used to just paying for others to do things for them. Eventually, some of the girls figured out a better method for doing laundry. They paid the female custodians to do their laundry for them. Going to AUC was an experience I'll never forget. The people I met were some of the most interesting and imaginative of my life and I'm thankful for all the great friends I have from Cairo. But the panty flushers...well, that was just outrageous. I wonder what they're up to today...

3 comments:

  1. loooooooool this is sooooo funny!!! I guess panties must be one of top 5 popular items to buy in Cairo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen panties in the toilet before. When I used to bartend, I had a female patron come tell me something was wrong with the toilet in the ladies bathroom. Being the only female, and thankfully having a father in construction, I was able to find what was wrong. Some girl had a #2 accident in her panties. And just like your experience, instead of putting the panties in the trash, she put them in the holding tank of the toilet. Once word got out, there were only a handful of ladies left in the bar, it was discovered who the panty stasher was. The guy she was trying to pick up, reached to feel for her undies, to do some investigating because she was just in the bathroom not too long before this happened, discovered she no longer had panties on. He was so disgusted he just threw money onto the bar to pay his tab and left. I can't blame him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! I was laughing and so shocked while reading this! That is crazy. YOU should write a blog about all you saw while bartending...yuck yuck yuck! Crazy people!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...