Monday, April 30, 2012

Beachin' It!

I have been patiently (or maybe not so patiently) waiting for the weather to finally warm up here. Usually, I feel like Croatia in general has a bit nicer weather than Philadelphia but this past winter I was really jealous of the gorgeous spring-like weather Philly was having while we were freezing under the cold gray sky all winter long. Thankfully, the gray has cleared and the sun is shining and it is absolutely gorgeous!

Tomislav and I took a MUCH needed trip to the seaside yesterday. We drove the 173 km (107 mi) to the island Krk which is one of the largest islands in the Adriatic, and a very popular travel destination for all.


What's amazing on the seaside is the way locals switch between languages so fluidly. One minute they're speaking in German to Austrian tourists, the next Italian to the couple from Rome, then back to Croatian, and then to Slovenian! It's amazing how they know so many languages so that they can communicate with tourists from all over. The waiters at this fantastic seafood restaurant we went to in the town Malinska were  constantly speaking different languages. Speaking of that fantastic seafood:


Mmm mussels with olive oil and garlic!

Homemade pasta with asparagus and shrimp in an outstanding savory sauce!


You can't go to the seaside without having white wine :)

To me, there is nothing better than hearing the sounds of the sea and I think T-Slav would agree. See how peaceful he looks?

 Cutie!


It almost looks like a pool behind me! But the water was still really cold, it felt like ice! We only went in about knee deep but there were some people swimming. Adults swimming were wearing wet suits but kids were just swimming in their bathing suits.

Lovely Adriatic with the view of mountains in the background

I already can't wait to go back! Have you been to the beach yet this year?

6 comments:

  1. looks like fun!! i can't wait to swim in the ocean this summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. i. hate. you.

    p.s. you look great in that bikini :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully concur with Ivana.

    -Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looks wonderful! My husband has traveled to your parts - but I haven't yet! No beach yet but the weather in northern california is definitely getting warm enough (even though the water is too cold to get in unfortunately - unlike the adriatic...)

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful! One day I'll get there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL thanks Ivana and Tanya! I encourage you all to visit here sometime! I can't get over how breathtaking the coast really is...it's a dream come true and when the weather is this nice, you just have to be there. I can't wait to go back to the seaside!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...