Thursday, May 31, 2012

R.I.P. Max

I am so sad to share the news that our beloved family dog, Max, has passed away.

Max and Dominika on a walk in January 2012

The news of his recent illness and subsequent deterioration has hit me a lot harder than I expected it to and it gave me a chance to reflect on his life and how much a part of our family he really was. In his younger years, Max was the greatest guard dog imagineable, maybe even too much sometimes! He had a loud bark and scary demeanor which would scare off any potential burglar with just one look. He was a bilingual dog and very intuitive. He was also the best doorbell possible. We knew when my Mom's best friend was coming because even if she was still 3 blocks away, he would be able to tell and would begin barking immediately to let us know she was coming. He had some mishaps over the years, with some excessive barking and a bite or two (I wasn't there for it but I've heard about what happened with Human Max). But he was my little brother. He's been there through everything.

Even when I had been away for a very long time, like for a year in Germany, he still recognized me and greeted me warmly when I came home. Even when noone else was home when I'd drive up from college, he was there. He protected us and he made me feel safe. Just knowing he was there, especially when I was home alone, made me feel comfortable. He was a part of our family unit and I just can't believe he won't be there anymore when I come home. My Dad was his master and they really were best friends. He followed Pistol around everywhere and in a house where males were outnumbered, my Dad was lucky to have another 'man' around. Despite the fact that I knew he was old and getting sick, I still didn't imagine what would it would be like if he wasn't around. Well, there is a real void in my heart and I'm so sad that he's not with us here on Earth anymore but I hope he's having fun in Heaven.

I love you always Max! Hope you and Peempoosh are having fun playing together again.


 Max watching Food Network with me

 Kisses for his (let's be honest) favorite sister ;)

 Helping with yardwork

Ok, more like playing!

 How nice!

 Mama, sissy, and baby brother


Max Kaminski
1998-2012


4 comments:

  1. My family dog, Jagz, passed away two months ago :( It's such a sad moment when a pet leaves the family, they bring so much goodness to life. Jagz and Max are probably roaming the free hills of doggy heaven right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sad for you guys when Dom told me. But at least you had him for all those wonderful years! These pics of her and Max are adorable though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear this, Nikki! The loss of a pet is always so difficult, and even harder when you're far away from your family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...