Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Floss Challenge

So, this is kind of random but dental health is very important, much more important beyond just having fresh breath, and I hope all of you take good care of your teeth and gums! After reading the shocking statistic that more than half of American adults have some form of gum disease or gingivitis and don't even know about it, I wanted to learn more about this fact and how it can be prevented. Luckily, Dr. Oz had all the information I was looking for.

I saw Dr. Oz a while back on Good Morning America talking about the importance of flossing and the fact that it helps prevent heart disease, cancer, and some effects of aging! In fact, if you DON'T floss, you are four times more likely to have a stroke! 
"Brushing and flossing every day (combined with seeing a dental professional every six months or so) can have a RealAge effect of making you up to 6.4 years younger. Because of its ability to decrease inflammation in your gums and subsequently in your arteries, flossing will help you keep your heart pumping and your sex life thriving-not to mention your teeth intact. Pressed for time? Then follow this rule: Only floss the teeth you want to keep." -Dr. Oz
Research has shown it takes approximately 60 days for something to become a habit, so I have a special challenge for all of you. I would like you to try and make flossing your new daily habit, if it's not already. It doesn't take that long, you can do it just once a day, it's best to do it at night before you go to bed and after you brush your teeth. Any time of day can work. Even if you're stuck in traffic, pull your floss out and go to town! For the next 60 days, I would like you to promise to floss every single day! After the 60 days are done, you won't even think about it as if it's something you have to do, but you'll just do it automatically! If you miss a day, don't fret and don't give up! Just do it the next day then. It's so good for you and I want all of you to be healthy people! Keep your minds, bodies, and gums extra healthy!

So, who's up for the challenge? This simple change could improve your life and future! Get yourself some silky smooth floss to make it easier for you. Even if your gums bleed a bit at first, stick with it. Unhealthy gums have too much blood in them so they bleed. Your body sends the blood to your gums to fight infection and bacteria so the more you floss, the healthier your gums will be and the less they'll bleed!  I'm obviously not a dentist of any kind, but I know how much better I feel after flossing and watching Dr. Oz talk about all the risks, I'd rather spend a couple minutes flossing every day so I can spend my golden years taking trips instead of taking pills!

Croatian Floss (left), American Satin Floss (right)
Thanks sissy for sending it!

Do you floss regularly? Comment below if you'd like to join the challenge! I'm not going to hold you to it, but every so often I'll check in with you and let you know how my habit is going and see how yours is going! I'll have some more motivation (perhaps in the form of a postcard or prize of some sort) along the way. Join in and keep your gums and body healthy all the way through! Floss tonight!



4 comments:

  1. I'm trying this challenge. I've been meaning to get on board with flossing every day anyway! Just bought my floss :)

    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking of doing a post on this! I used to be an oral surgeons assistant so I have seen first hand the effects of not flossing! Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was thinking about it for a while and I finally decided it is important enough to post about, even though I really have nothing to do with dental health!

      Tanya and D and everyone else who is thinking about taking part - do it! Stay healthy :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...