Monday, March 5, 2012

Meatless Monday!

Last week I made so many delicious meals, I could hardly decide which one to write about. I decided to go with the one that was so hearty, you really don't miss the meat at all! Honestly, I think it's better without the meat! These are my bean enchiladas inspired by this BBC recipe- yummy!


Simple, delicious ingredients, baked to ooey gooey goodness

Here's what I used:

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion , chopped
  • 2-3 carrots , grated
  • 2-3 tsp chilli powder (mild or hot, according to your taste)
  • 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
  • 2 x 400g cans beans (red, black, pinto, lentils - whatever you've got!)
  • 1 x 400g can corn
  • 6 small whole grain tortillas
  • 200g natural yogurt (I used one of the small cups of Greek variety)
  • 50g cheese (or veg alternative), finely grated

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the onions and carrots for 5-8 mins until soft - add a splash of water if they start to stick. Sprinkle in the chilli powder and cook for 1 min more. Pour in the tomatoes and beans and bring to the boil. Add the corn. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from the heat and season well. 


 

Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350F). Spread a spoonful of the bean chilli over a large ovenproof dish. I layered the tortillas so they overlapped one another and then spooned the chili mixture over the tortillas followed by yogurt and cheese. Next, I added another layer of tortillas followed by the chili mixture, yogurt and cheese until I used it all. Spoon the remaining chilli on top.

 It may look messy but it's oh-so-good!

 Bake for a few minutes until the top is golden and bubbling. Mine ended up looking like a tortilla/enchilada lasagna!

This recipe will seriously satisfy even the biggest carnivores!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...