Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Note about Expat Life

I've written about homesickness before and yesterday was one of those days when it randomly hit me. It was actually rather embarrassing because it was after work and I was in center city and just started crying and couldn't really stop. I don't know if that ever happens to anyone else but anyway, the mix of feeling overwhelmed by wedding plans and lack of my immediate family around me just made me break down for a while. 

People usually only see one side to my life and I thought to myself, should they see the other? The answer is yes. It's not all adventures and romance and excitement all the time. It's just...real life, with the added cultural differences (and the fact that you're away from all your family, friends, and comforts of home) of living in Europe. My day to day life is actually pretty boring and routine. Don't get me wrong, I love my life but I just want people to know that I have habits and daily routines just like I did in Philly. I get up early and go to work everyday, I cook, clean, do laundry (no dryer....fun), wash dishes (no dishwasher...boo), read books on my Kindle..watch my favorite American shows online. Just normal, everyday life! 

Instead of Septa subways, I ride Zet trams

Sometimes I think people assume my life is a lot more "glamourous" than it actually is, but it's quite normal most of the time! Sure, things are different because instead of going to NJ (for cheaper gas), we go to Austria (for cheaper shopping)! My life is filled with so much happiness since I've come here because before, I felt lonely often from missing Tomislav all the time. Now, it's different because I'm with Tomislav and that makes me feel so much happiness but now I'm missing other people, like my family and friends.

Me and my other half
 It's important to me to live in the moment, enjoy each day for what it is and try not to look back or forward too much but just be in the present. People often say to take one thing at a time, which really is good advice. It's just hard to follow sometimes. So this is also a reminder to myself to take a deep breath, relax, it'll all work out. Appreciate everything you have, chances are, you have a lot to be grateful for. Just be present and aware of what is happening right now and what needs to happen. 

Enjoy that croissant while you're eating it. Take that moment and just l-i-v-e...

5 comments:

  1. hey Nikki, here is a big hug from your hostsister from Gütersloh, when you had your first experiences in Germany... I enjoyed reading your blog a little (I should study but I don't want to). Sometimes you have "good" days, sometimes you have "bad" days. That's life and it's just human. I know that from my year in America. Just take a big breath, relax a little and soon the sun will come out again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite posts babe! so very true, if we learned anything in last 4 years it's to live in the present and stop planning and worrying about what happenes in the future. and simply be happy that you have someone very special to share your everyday life with :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I love the pics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well written Nikki. I like that you are brave enough to show all your sides, hard and soft. I love reading your posts and completely understand the distance factor, whether it be from your significant other or family/friends. It's tough, but it makes you a stronger person. Lots of love and support from the Poconos! <3 Tanya (and Alec too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog was so timely for us! Tomorrow we are moving to Zagreb for four years and we are in the process of saying goodbyes to friends and family in England. We are excited, yet at the same time sad. But we are focussing on the positive!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...